This course is an outstanding and complete introduction to the NonStop SQL/MP product
and how to embed SQL/MP statmetents into COBOL85 servers.
The course combines the functions of an introduction to SQL/MP
and embedding SQL/MP into servers into a concise 5-day course.
The student will learn how to use SQL/MP to meet the practical needs of today’s
organizations, how to list, modify and delete database items; and how to define
and create databases. The student will become strongly versed in the aspects of
embedding SQL/MP into the server, how to code dynamic SQL statments, and how to use
timestamp and interval datatypes.
Eight extensive hands-on labs will reinforce and anchor the student's classroom learning.
Course Duration: 5 days
Application Programmers and Analysts who need to learn how to create databases,
develop and execute queries, use Report Writer, and be able to competently add
queries to their programs.
- Describe a relational database including
the various entities associated with this type of database.
- Describe the NonStop architecture as it
pertains to a relational database.
- List the steps to create a relational
- Use Report Writer to format query
- Format, List, Modify, and Delete the desired data items
within a relational database.
- Embed all forms of SQL/MP statments into server code.
- This course includes eight comprehensive and instructional lab exercises.
- Ability to LOGON and LOGOFF a Tandem NonStop system.
- Use standard utilities (EDIT/TEDIT, FUP, PERUSE), and basic TACL commands for a user session.
- Module 1 - Relational Database Concepts
- Database Beginnings
- Database Terms
- Database Access
- Queries and Reports
- Module 2 - NonStop SQL/MP Architecture
- NonStop System Features
- Interface to SQL/MP
- Optimizer, Compiler, and Executor functions
- Parallel Activity
- Data Protection
- SQL/MP Lab
- Module 3 - Simple Database Queries
- Source for the Query
- Query Formats
- Basic Query Lab
- Module 4 - More Complex Database Queries
- Multiple Tables
- Joins and Unions
- Join, Union and Subquery Lab
- Module 5 - Views
- Protection Views
- Shorthand Views
- Views Lab
- Module 6 - Report Writer
- Select Statement Impact
- Style and Layout Topics
- Report Writer Lab
- Module 7 - Concepts of Embedding SQL/MP into Programs
- Compilation Environment
- SQLCOMP Utility and Parameters
- Defines Names and Define Name Resolution
- Use of EXEC SQL and END-EXEC
- Definitions and Host Variables
- INVOKE Directives
- Different SQL Statement Types
- Embedding Basic SQL Statements Lab
- Module 8 - Basic Embedded SQL Statements
- Standalone and Single Select Statements
- Set Processing Concerns
- Embedding SELECT, UPDATE and DELETE statements
- Alternate Index Positioning, Context Free Positioning
- NULL Values and NULL-allowed column handling
- Locking Concepts, Locking and Error Handling
- Basic SQL Statements Lab
- Module 9 - Advancded Embedded SQL Statements
- Defining and Using Cursors
- Date and Time Variables in SQL/MP
- Handling INTERVAL Datatypes and Time Intervals
- Dynamic SQL, EXECUTE and EXECUTE IMMEDIATE differences
- Use of LIKE with Host Variables
- Advanced SQL Statements Lab